Pastor Stephen Davey's False Gospel
by David J. Stewart | February 2017
Jeremiah 5:31, “The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?”
A popular Bible teacher on the internet and religious radio today is Pastor Stephen Davey. I had heard some good things about him, so I went to check for myself, and I didn't like what I found. Davey is teaching a false Gospel. Pastor Davey is a graduate of Tennessee Temple University, whose founder Dr. Lee Roberson, did not teach anything like what Mr. Davey is teaching. Brother Roberson taught the simplicity that is in Christ, not some type of discipleship program that today's Lordship Salvation crowd has sinfully added to the Gospel of grace.
You judge for yourself whether Mr. Davey is a false prophet or not concerning the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if anyone even reads the King James Bible anymore. Stephen Davey is the senior pastor at the Colonial Baptist Church of Cary, North Carolina. I clicked on “GOSPEL.” What senior Pastor Davey is teaching here on his church's website is DEFINITELY NOT THE GOSPEL...
If you do believe that you are a sinner and in danger of God’s judgment, there are three things you should do:
- The first thing to do is to cry out to God for mercy and forgiveness. Admit to God that you are a sinner in need of his forgiveness. Acknowledge that you deserve his punishment but that you want his mercy instead. Tell him that you believe that Jesus died for your sins, and on the basis of what Jesus did for you, you are placing your faith in God for your salvation. You also need to ask God help to change you. You can’t go on living in rebellion. The salvation God offers includes Jesus being the king of your life instead of you, but you need his help to overcome your sin.
- The second thing to do is to start living like you are a child of God. There are many areas of your life that need to change. As you read the Bible and come to understand what God wants from you, begin living it out. This will take you the rest of your life. You’ll never completely stop sinning until you are with God in heaven. But, God’s promise to forgive your sin stands, and he will continue to help you obey him.
- The third thing to do will also last your whole life - continue to trust and rely on God. You will fail at times, but God will always forgive. You will need his help and encouragement, and he will give it to you. Study God’s Word, seek to know all you can about him, trust him every day, rely on his forgiveness, and grow as a child of God.
Respectfully, let's closely examine the false “Gospel” which the Colonial Baptist Church teaches, of which Dr. Stephen Davey is the senior pastor (NOTE: Everything in bold red is unbiblical):
- Cry out to God for mercy and forgiveness.
- Admit to God you are a sinner in need of His forgiveness.
- Acknowledge that you deserve His punishment, but you want His mercy instead.
- Tell Him you believe Jesus died for your sins, and on that basis you are placing your faith in God for salvation.
- Ask God to help change you, because you cannot go on living in rebellion.
- The salvation God offers includes Jesus being King of your life, instead of you.
- Start living like you are a child of God.
- There are many areas of your life that need to change.
- As you read the Bible and understand, live it out. This will take you the rest of your life.
- Continue to trust and rely upon God.
- Study God's Word. Seek to know all you can about Him.
- Trust Him every day. Rely on His forgiveness, and grow as a child of God.
Ladies and gentleman, this is what comes up when you click “GOSPEL.” The webpage says these steps are what to do if you “believe you are a sinner in danger of God's judgment,” but they COMBINE discipleship with salvation, all on their “GOSPEL” page. This is deceitful. This is clearly ANOTHER GOSPEL (2nd Corinthians 11:3-4). Their whole webpage allegedly teaching the “GOSPEL,” leads up to the preceding nonsense under the subtitle, “The Response Within Your Heart.” If you do what they say, and trust that to get you into Heaven, you will burn in the Lake of Fire forever. You had better trust what Christ did to pay for your sins on the cross, His burial, and His bodily resurrection three days later, AND NOTHING ELSE!!!
The way you live after you get saved does not affect your salvation, it affects your rewards in eternity (Daniel 12:3). ETERNAL LIFE IS A GIFT. If a professed Christian is living in deliberate unrepentant sin, it could signify that they are not saved (evidencing that they don't have the Holy Spirit in them); but for that matter, they might be living the Christian life faithfully, doing everything that a good Christian churchgoer does, AND YET STILL NEVER HAVE BEEN BORN-AGAIN!!! So you see, examining someone's life outwardly doesn't tell you anything. That's why the Bible says in 2nd Corinthians 13:5 to “EXAMINE YOURSELVES, whether ye be in the faith” (emphasis added)!!! Judas was one of Christ's very apostles, yet was unsaved. Jesus knew that Judas was a thief, and had a devil in him, but none of the other apostles knew it. Think about that.
Don't get mad at me, examine the Holy Scriptures for yourself, and then compare what the Bible teaches to what the Colonial Baptist Church teaches. I am contending for the Christian faith, nothing more (Jude 1:3).
In Sharp Contrast to Stephen Davey, Here's the “THE GOSPEL” According to the BibleReligion wants to fit us with glasses, but the Lord wants to open our eyes! Thank God for the truth of His precious Word, which is a lamp unto our feet. Psalm 119:105, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” America's churches influence the world, so if Satan can corrupt our churches here at home, then he can corrupt the world. The United States sends out more missionaries than any other nation. Sadly, there is MUCH heresy and false teaching circulating on the radio, television and in our churches nowadays concerning what a person must do to be saved.
What exactly is the Gospel? The word “Gospel” means “Good News” or “Glad Tidings.” There is no need to guess what the “Gospel” is because the Bible plainly tells us. The “Gospel” is the Good News of Christ's DEATH on the cross for our sins, His BURIAL and bodily RESURRECTION three days later:
1st Corinthians 15:1-4, “Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.”
We are saved by BELIEVING “the Gospel,” which is the power of God unto salvation. Romans 1:16, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.” John 6:28-29, “Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.” It is that simple to be saved. If you admit that you are a needy sinner in God's sight, and you receive Christ's sacrifice on the cross as payment for your sins, believing that He was buried and bodily resurrected three days later, YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY, SECURELY AND FOREVER SAVED!!!
I Am Being Everyone's Friend to Tell You the Truth
I am not trying to be unkind. I have nothing personal against Pastor Davey, nor the Colonial Baptist Church. God knows my heart. But when information is uploaded to the internet, it becomes fair game for scrutinization by anyone, especially those faithful believers who are set for the defence of the Gospel. It does matter what we believe. Your doctrine determines your eternal destiny! It really does!!! Jesus said “YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN” or else you cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. John 3:3, “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Stephen Davey would make Pastor John MacArthur, Evangelist Paul Washer, Evangelist Ray Comfort, and other Lordship Salvation heretics very proud. We must not combine discipleship with salvation in an attempt to force people to live right. Eternal life is a free gift from God (Romans 5:15; 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-10), completely independent of the manner in which a believer chooses to live. That's why God gives rewards to the faithful, to His disciples who follow Him, but other believers will suffer loss at the Judgment Seat of Christ (1st Corinthians 3:9-15; 2nd Corinthians 5:9-11). That's why the apostle Paul begged the believers in Romans 12:1 to “present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your REASONABLE SERVICE” (emphasis added). Following Jesus as a believer is reasonable, considering that He died to save us from eternal damnation, BUT IT IS NOT MANDATORY TO BE SAVED. It was their choice Paul said, not a requirement to receive the gift of eternal life.
Please listen to the awesome MP3 sermon by Dr. Jack Hyles on the subject, titled, “Steps In Sanctification; Or, The Root Of All Heresy!” This sermon clears up the matter well. Thank you for reading this.
“The mark of the child of God is that he loves everybody!” (a quote from Pastor Jack Hyles' classic MP3 sermon, “FORGIVENESS”
You Need HIS Righteousness!
Believe The Gospel